Here are a few suggestions:
- First a suggestion from Gerald- drive to pretty Welshpool (about an hour's drive through beautiful countryside) and have a wander round the shops, indoor market and cafes. Nearby is Coed-y-Dinas (Charlies) country store and garden centre. Charlies sells everything from cookery equipment, toys, plants and fish to tractors! There's a cafe and play area for children. Virtually opposite is Powis Castle, well worth a visit! If that's not enough you could always drive back via the beautiful Lake Vrynwy.
- The Magic Lantern cinema in Tywyn (only a 15 minute drive from Pentre Bach- a lovely original old style cinema, recently refurbished and new bar added. http://www.tywyncinema.co.uk/ 01654 710260 Stalls - £5 for adults and £4 for children!
- The Butterfly House at Aberystwyth- 'a tranquil tropical sanctuary'. http://www.magicoflife.org/
- Llechwedd Slate Caverns, where you can 'travel deep into the world of a Victorian slate mine to visit spectacular caverns and a subterranean lake' http://www.llechwedd-slate-caverns.co.uk/
- Dyfi Osprey Centre, http://dyfiospreyproject.com Tel 01654 781414
- .You could always spend an afternoon in a hide at the RSPB's Ynys-hir reserve (where Springwatch is filmed) trying to spot nuthatches, goldcrests and lesser spotted woodpeckers.
- Bendigedig indoor activity centre, Talbot Square, Barmouth, LL42 1AD. Tel 01341 281523
- ................and of course if you're already wet, why not have a go at surfing, windsurfing, gorge walking or coasteering?!!!